Teen Final Review Answers
We hope this teen final review questions and answers help you achieve a positive score in your final written test.
1. A __green arrow____ indicates a protected turn.
2. The lower the speed the lower __force of impact___.
3. How many inches away from a curb are you supposed to be when parking parallel? 6” – 18”
4. What are the 3 types of aggressive drivers? Quiet, Verbal, Epic
5. Up until what age should a child be in an approved child safety seat? 8 years of age or height 4’9”
6. What are the different types of child safety seats? Infant seat, toddler seat, booster seat.
7. How long will your license be suspended if you refuse a breath/blood test? 60Days – 180 days
8. What does DWI stand for? To who does it apply? Driving While Intoxicated. Adults who have exceeded 0.08% BAC level
9. What does DUI stand for? To who does it apply? Driving Under the Influence. Any person consuming a substance that is illegal and is inhibiting their senses. Includes minors under the influence of alcohol.
10. What is a designated driver? A person who completely abstains from drinking with the purpose of driving safely.
11. What lights should you use when driving in fog, heavy rain, etc.? Low Beams since it is hard to see within 1,000 ft.
12. What are the 4 expressway interchanges? (you should be able to identify them) Cloverleaf, Diamond, Trumpet , Frontage
13. What does HOV stand for? High Occupancy Vehicles
14. Name ways to communicate with other roadway users. Signals, headlights, hand signs, horn, etc.
15. Every how many hours or miles should you rest when on a long trip? Every 2 hours or every 100 miles of driving.
16. List the eight basic sign colors: Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Black, White, Orange, Brown
17. What does each color mean? Red- Stop or prohibited, Green- Go/Direction, Yellow- General Warning, Blue- Motorist Services Guidance, Black/White- Regulations, Orange- Construction or Maintenance, Brown- Scenic Guidance.
18. Who is required to wear a seat belt in Texas? Everyone
19. At what age do passengers get their own ticket? 15 years of age
20. What are the 2 different types of steering techniques? Hand-over-hand & Hand to Hand
21. What is the maximum fine for driving without a driver’s license? $200.00
22. What type of insurance coverage does every driver need to have in Texas? Liability
23. What are the minimum coverage LIMITS you must have? 30,000 per person injured/ 60,000 for total people injured/ 25,000 for property damage.
24. What does comprehensive coverage pay for? (two examples) Theft, water damage, Fire, natural causes that cannot be avoided.
25. What are the four types of skids? Power, Braking, Counter, Cornering
26. How many seconds away from the car in front of you should you be? 2 seconds Novice drivers? 4 seconds
27. What are the three turnabouts? (be able to draw one also) U-turn, 2 point Turn, 3 point turn
28. Which turnabout is the most dangerous? Why? 3 Point turn since it involves all the steps in the middle of the road exposing you to a car accident.
29. What is field of vision? Everything you can see from left to right without moving your head.
30. What are safety devices in your car? Seat belts, Airbags, Head rest, Tempered safety glass, Impact resistant bumper.
31. What is a weave lane? A shared lane for entering and exiting.
32. What is the difference between a blindspot and a no-zone? Blindspot is general spot that is not visible in a Class C car. No-zone refers to areas around an 18 wheeler that have little to no visibility.
33. What are the speed ranges for residential, urban and rural areas? 20-30 mph, 30-45 mph, 45-65 mph.
34. What must you do when meeting a school bus that has stopped to pick up/discharge? Stop completely until the bus continues.
35. What are the steps to take in the event your car starts to skid? Release both the accelerator and brake and steer the vehicle in the direction of the skid.
36. What is the numerical definition of intoxication? 0.08%
37. Define highway hypnosis? A dull or drowsy condition that can occur because of the concentration needed while driving long distances.
38. How many feet away from a fire plug should you be? 15ft
39. List in order, the steps of a lane change. Check mirror. Turn on signal. Check blindspot. Glide into lane. Turn off signal.
40. How far in advanced should you signal for a turn? 100ft
41. What are the 3 evasive actions? Accelerating, Braking, Lateral.
42. How is alcohol eliminated by our bodies? 90% – Liver. 10% – Breath, sweat, urine.
43. A solid yellow line on your side of the center stripe means? Do not pass.
44. What are the different names of lanes on an expressway? Entrance ramp. Slow lane. Thru Lane. Passing lane.
45. What is the maximum fine for a first non-driving alcohol-related offense of possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor? $500.00
46. Why are beers, wines, and spirits different? They have different alcohol level which give different effects.
47. Who is Jacqueline Saburido? A drunk driving victim who experienced burn trauma due to an intoxicated teen who hit her car on a head-on collision.
48. What is the difference between a flashing red light and yellow light? Flashing red- Stop, yield, continue. Flashing yellow- slow down.
49. The maximum daylight speed limit in the Texas highways? 70 mph
50. How many feet away from the corner should you park? 20ft
51. What are the 3 types of parkings? Perpendicular, Angle, Parallel.
52. What is the minimum amount of tread a tire should have? 2/32
53. Why are hot and cold temperatures important? Rubber such as hoses and tires are affected. The pressure is also altered during seasonal changes.
54. What is the only way to drive when driver’s license is suspended? By obtaining an Essential Need License.
55. Zero Tolerance in Texas means…? Minor in Possession is in full affect without exceptions.
56. Name the 3 types of distractions? Visual, Manual, Cognitive.
57. If you move, you must report your change of address to the Texas DPS within how much time? 30 days
58. To qualify for an instruction permit, you must be how old? 15 yrs Provisional license? 16 yrs
59. What three things make up your total stopping distance? Perception, Reaction, Braking.
60. Why are anti-lock brakes important? They prevent the brake pads from locking when braking excessively.
61. What do you do in the event of brake failure? Downshift to slow down the vehicle.
62. What do you do in the event of accelerator failure? Shift to neutral so the vehicle doesn’t continue accelerating.
63. The _Dashboard__ of a car contains information that is important to the driver.
64. Who must take a boater education course? Anyone born on or after September 1st, 1993
65. What three factor determine the monthly payment when buying a car? Principal, Interest, Terms.
Define the following words:
traction- The gripping action that keeps a tire from slipping on the roadway.
force of impact- The force with which a moving vehicle hits another object.
potential energy- Stored energy.
blowout- The sudden bursting of a tire.
kinetic energy- The energy of motion.
engine failure- Loss of power to the engine.
friction- The resistance between a vehicle’s tire and the road surface.
gravity- The invisible force that pulls objects toward the ground.
skidding- Loss of control over the direction in which your car is moving because of reduced traction.
brake failure- Loss of braking power.
centrifugal force- The force that tends to push a moving object out of a curve or turn into a straight path
hydroplaning- Loss of traction where there is a film of water between the road and tires.